How to File a Complaint with the Naturopathic Medicine Committee

There are two ways that you can file a complaint:

Enforcement of the Naturopathic Doctors Act

The Naturopathic Medicine Committee (Committee) may only investigate naturopathic doctors (NDs) who are licensed by the Committee, applicants for licensure, or unlicensed individuals who hold themselves out to the public as licensed by the Committee. The Committee may only investigate complaints that, if found to be valid, are violations of the Naturopathic Doctors Act or the Committee's regulations.

Complaints Against Licensed Naturopathic Doctors (NDs)

A complaint should be filed by anyone who believes that a licensee of the Committee (ND) has engaged in illegal activities that are related to his/her professional responsibilities.

Allegations may include:

  • Gross Negligence or Incompetence
  • License Application Fraud
  • Substance Abuse
  • Mental Illness

Allegations NOT within the authority of the Committee:

  • Fee/Billing Disputes
  • General Business Practices
  • Personality Conflicts

Complaints Against Unlicensed Persons

Complaints against unlicensed persons of client harm, fraud, or unscrupulous business practices may be punishable under criminal or civil law. Please contact the fraud division of your local law enforcement office, your local district attorney's office, the California State Attorney General's office and/or consult an attorney for more information. You may also consider to filing a claim in Small Claims Court; you may access DCA's handbook on small claims court actions at:

Allegations may include:

  • Claiming to be a naturopathic doctor, licensed naturopathic doctor, doctor of naturopathic medicine, doctor of naturopathy, or naturopathic medical doctor, or using the professional abbreviation "N.D." or other titles, words, letters, or symbols representing that he or she practices, is authorized to practice, or is able to practice naturopathic medicine as a naturopathic doctor.

Allegations NOT within the authority of the Committee:

  • Client Harm
  • Fee/Billing Disputes
  • General Business Practices
  • Personality Conflicts

The entire complaint review, investigation, and legal review process could be lengthy depending on the complexity of the case. During the investigation stage, all information is confidential and may not be discussed. When a case is resolved, the person filing the complaint will be notified of the action taken by the Committee except in the case of anonymous complaints. Only those persons who have been served with a citation and fine will have their names posted on our web site. Please keep in mind that any actions taken by the Naturopathic Medicine Committee are separate from other criminal or civil remedies that may be available to you. If you have questions about filing a complaint, please call (916) 928-4785.

Information Collection, Use and Access

Collection and Use of Personal Information.
The Department of Consumer Affairs collects the information requested on this form as authorized by Business and Professions Code Section 325 and 326. The Department uses this information to follow up on your complaint.

Providing Personal Information Is Voluntary.
You do not have to provide the personal information requested. If you do not wish to provide personal information, such as your name, home address, or home telephone number, you may remain anonymous. In that case, however, we may not be able to contact you or help you resolve your complaint.

Access to Your Information.
You may review the records maintained by the Department that contain your personal information, as permitted by the Information Practices Act. See below for contact information.

Possible Disclosure of Personal Information.
In order to follow up on your complaint, we may need to share the information you give us with the business you complained about or with other government agencies. This may include sharing personal information you gave us.

The information you provide may also be disclosed in the following circumstances:

  • In response to a Public Records Act request, as allowed by the Information Practices Act;
  • To another government agency a required by state and federal law;
  • In response to a court or administrative order, a subpoena, or a search warrant.

Contact Information.
For questions on this notice, the Department's Privacy Policy or access to your records, you may contact the Information Security Office in the Department of Consumer Affairs, 1625 North Market, Suite S202, Sacramento, CA, 95834, or e-mail