Senate Bill 1246 established Naturopathic Assistants effective January 1, 2011
Naturopathic assistants (NA) perform technical and support services for licensed naturopathic doctors. They may perform certain medical procedures and technical support services under the supervision of a licensed naturopathic doctor. NAs are unlicensed.
Supervising ND Responsibilities:
Naturopathic doctors are solely responsible for training NAs and must be physically present on-site while the NA performs services.
Scope of Practice:
Naturopathic assistants may perform the following:
- Administer medication by intradermal, subcutaneous, or intramuscular injections
- Perform skin tests
- Perform venipuncture or skin puncture in order to draw blood
- Administer medications orally, sublingually, topically, vaginally, rectally, or by inhalation, as well as give medication to patients
- Apply & remove bandages
- Collect specimens for testing
- Collect and record patient data including blood pressure and pulse
- Perform simple lab and screening tests customarily performed in a medical office
NAs must place a written order or standing order prepared by a supervising ND in the patient’s medical records.
Training is solely the responsibility of naturopathic doctors. NAs must have a minimum number of hours of appropriate training:
- 10 clock hours of training in administering injections and performing skin tests, and/or
- 10 clock hours of training in venipuncture and skin puncture for the purpose of withdrawing blood, and
- Satisfactory performance by the trainee of at least 10 each of intramuscular, subcutaneous, and intradermal injections and 10 skin tests, and/or at least 10 venipuncture and 10 skin punctures.
- For those administering medicine by inhalation, 10 clock hours of training in administering medical by inhalation.
- pertinent anatomy and physiology appropriate to the procedures
- choice of equipment
- proper technique including sterile technique
- hazards and complications
- patient care following treatment or tests
- emergency procedures